The museum's permanent exhibits include the collection of mediaeval wood sculptures from the 13th to the 16th century. The geographical emphasis lies on the region of Brabant and the area around the Meuse river, with a leading role for the work of 'the Master of Elsloo' and Jan van Steffeswert.

Few woodcarvings have survived from the Maas region from the Romanesque and early Gothic period. Yet it can be established on the basis of some surviving examples that, besides sculpture in stone, woodcarving also developed into a thriving art form in this period.

Towards the end of the Middle Ages, woodcarving was a thriving industry in the Maas region. Two figures were particularly important in this area: the Master of Elsloo and Jan van Steffeswert.

The first – anonymous – woodcarver takes his name from the town of Elsloo, where his most important work, an impressive St Anne Trinity, is situated in the Church of St. Augustine.

The Maastricht woodcarver Jan van Steffeswert (ca. 1460 – ca. 1531) was way ahead of his time, not only in putting a master's mark on his work, but also by signing it. Up to now, we know of fourteen of his signed works. Highlights in the collection are a standing Female Saint from 1501 and a recently acquired kneeling Mary Magdalene from around 1525.